Many people love traveling the world and the best time is when taking photographs of the most alluring moments and events. However, things don’t always go as we plan and in most cases, you may find out that your photos are not the way you’d want.
This should not make you worry because experts have already made the world of photography interesting because you can edit your photos using an application known as Photoshop.
It manipulates and adjusts your images and whether you’re looking forward to working with design website layouts or product images, Photoshop is loaded with tools that will excellently do what you want. Here are the tools you need and tips to use Photoshop like a pro.
1. Find your way around Photoshop
First things first, learning photoshop basics is the first step towards editing your images successfully. You’ll realize that a Photoshop interface is split into 4 main parts and you need to understand all of them.
• The menu bar – It contains assorted options such as how to save, edit and customize the layout
• The toolbar – Found at the left side of the screen, it contains the important tools of the Photoshop. At the bottom right corner is a triangular icon where you can access more related tool so you can check them out and learn more about them
• The options bar – Immediately you select a tool, you’ll realize that the options bar changes to display different option related to that particular tool and you can choose the size of the brush among other things
• Panels – The panels, also called palettes is located on the right side of the screen and this is where you’ll find layers and adjustments panels which you’ll use when processing your images
2. Save your time with layer masks
Many people find it hard to use layer masks but it’s very easy and the best news is that you can use it for any project. Layer masks are very important in Photoshop as they provide advanced control over the transparency of an image and here is how to go about it.
• Go to the layers panel
• Select a layer
• Hit the layer mask button
• Apply black or white to the layer using your preferred tool to either reveal or hide parts of the layer
3. Non-destructive editing
Photoshop is an amazing program and you’ll find out that it has various methods to support non-destructive photo editing. Non-destructive editing means that you don’t have to edit the original image directly and your changes are not permanent.
This form of editing entails the use of adjustment layers where you place tonal tweaks and color above the original image. Non-destructive editing ensures that if editing doesn’t portray the image you’re looking for, the original image is still there and you can try editing yet again.
4. Open the image
Opening the image in Photoshop is not difficult because it’s done in the same manner you open other files in any program. Photoshop allows you to open more than one image when needed, which open in different tabs within the Photoshop interface.
5. Crop and straighten
After opening your preferred image in Photoshop, the first thing you should do is to crop and straighten to tighten its composition and level your horizon. This is done by pressing ‘C’ on your keyboard or simply selecting the crop tool from the toolbar and ensure that the Delete Cropped Pixels is unchecked in the Options bar.
Pull the handles at the bottom, top, sides as well as corners of the image inwards until you get your preferred image size. From there, you’ll be able to fix the exposure, boost the colors, add contrast with levels, fix white balance with levels, and remove unwanted objects to ensure that your objects look glorious. Most importantly, don’t forget to hit CNTRL + S to save your image.
The magic Photoshop has been around for nearly 18 years now and while most photographers started using it a long time ago, others have never used it.
If there’s a photographer you admire so much because of the photos he or she produces, the secret could be the fact that they use Photoshop to edit their images. If you’re just starting your photographic career, learn about Photoshop tools to beautify your images and this article will get you started.